The Tomcat 4.1 administration tool seems to only know how to configure
global properties, under <GlobalNamingResource>, in server.xml. But they can
not be read directly from the JNDI tree, which is bad because it means that
when ever I add properties, I also need to edit the server.xml file by hand;
the point of having an administration tool is therefore eluding me since
just copy-pasting XML is easier than first defining the properties through
the admin tool and then copy-pasting the XML under the correct context.
Somebody in java.sun.com noted that you could use ResourceLink-elements to
point to those global definitions, but that's not a solution in my book
since you still need to write those definitions, and I need separate values
for each server instance. It would require separate JNDI names for each
server instance though; not sure how to handle this anyway, except maybe
with namespaces or something...

My question is, can I add some element or general flags that would:

A) allow global properties to be filtered down to each individual server,
over-riding server-specific settings, or
B) make it possible to edit individual server instance properties through
the admin tool, rather than global ones.

As a follow-up question, in case answer is no, are there any plans to add
such functionality? I would very much like to be able to use the tool some
day.

Thanks in advance,

Janne Kuusela
Finland