> There is a typo in the documentation - you can not override the Xerces
> parser used.

Aha. That at least explains my confusion :)

> You can replace the one in /common/endorsed and
> see if it works - I don't recall which version tomcat requires. Have you
> tried your app with the version that tomcat supplies?

I haven't yet, to be honest - hopefully I'll be able to use that in the end, but the
guy whose code is most likely to use internal xerces/xalan interfaces is on holiday
this week...

> you can't guarantee the order in which jars are loaded within the same
> classloader, but if you can replace the version in
> /common/endorsed, then it
> won't matter what xml classes any web-inf jars include.

Fortunately, I've found that isn't a problem any more. I'm not sure when it was, but
it seems to be okay now. I checked which classes were duplicated, and they only seem
to be the standard interfaces/base classes, not the implementations. I wish I could
find the bug report for what was wrong before...

> If you modify the WebappClassLoader class, you will have to
> maintain it for each tomcat upgrade.

Indeed. We very rarely upgrade though, to be honest, so that shouldn't be a problem -
and hopefully I'll be able to get rid of it soon and we can use the standard xerces
when my colleague comes back. I just wanted something to get up and running to start
with.

Jon