First thing I would try is putting your LoadModule line ABOVE every line that uses "Jk*", such as:

JkExtractSSL On
JkHTTPSIndicator HTTPS
JkSESSIONIndicator SSL_SESSION_ID
JkCIPHERIndicator SSL_CIPHER
JkCERTSIndicator SSL_CLIENT_CERT

As positioned in your post, the lines shown above would have no effect if Jk wasn't loaded until later.

John

Elif Akten wrote:
Hi,
I have been trying to get SSL client certificate during a client authenticated SSL session. I am using Apache 2.0 with Tomcat 4.1.27. Everything works succesfully: when I want to open a SSL protected JSP page my browser asks for my client certificate and verifies it. But when I try to get client certificate using request.getHeader("SSL_CLIENT_CERT") it returns null. Also request.getAuthType() and request.getUserPrincipal() return null value. Following is the relevant part from our httpd.conf file:

<VirtualHost dune.net:443>
SSLEngine On
SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXP56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/server.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/server.key

JkExtractSSL On
JkHTTPSIndicator HTTPS
JkSESSIONIndicator SSL_SESSION_ID
JkCIPHERIndicator SSL_CIPHER
JkCERTSIndicator SSL_CLIENT_CERT
</VirtualHost>

SSLVerifyClient require
SSLVerifyDepth 2
SSLCACertificateFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/conf/ssl/ca.cer"
SSLCACertificatePath "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/conf/ssl"
SSLCACertificateFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/conf/ssl/rootca.cer"

<IfModule !mod_jk.c>
LoadModule jk_module "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/modules/mod_jk.dll"
</IfModule>

JkWorkersFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Tomcat 4.0/conf/workers.properties"
JkLogFile "C:/Program Files/Apache Tomcat 4.0/logs/mod_jk.log"
JkLogLevel info
JkMount /examples/* ajp13

Also our ssl.conf file includes the following lines :

SSLOptions +StdEnvVars +ExportCertData
JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat +ForwardDirectories
JkMount /demo/* ajp13
JkExtractSSL On
JkEnvVar SSL_CLIENT_CERT "<UNSET>"

What should I do to read the client certificate? Any help is welcome...