Hi all,

I posted a similar question a couple days ago but it seems the well-intended

And let me first say that I have RTFMs -- more than once -- and this
*SHOULD* work, at least according to TFMs.

I'm using TC v5.0.9 on Linux with J2SE 1.4.2_01.

Very simply, I have a Jar with some custom classes in
$CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib/. These classes are not being found in my web
application. Instead, I get a NoClassDefFoundError. If I move the Jar to
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/, the classes are found with no problem.

Somebody, please, just do what I described above and tell me if you can get
classes to load from a jar in $CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib.

According to the Tomcat docs, Jar files in $CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib/
*SHOULD BE AVAILABLE* to a web app. See the TC documentation at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

I'm wondering if the TC docs are once again in error....

Thanks very much.....sincerely.

Tony

-------------------------------------
<side-note>
Finally, for the sake of completeness, I'd like to correct something someone
said in response to my previous post.

A NoClassDefFoundError does *NOT* mean the class was found. It means the
class was *NOT* found, as does ClassNotFoundException. The difference
between these two errors has to do with the mechanism by which the class
load operation was initiated.

ClassNotFoundException is thrown when a class cannot be found and the
programmer tried to load the class *explicitly* using Class.forName() or a
ClassLoader method. For example:
Class c = Class.forName("MyClass");

NoClassDefFoundError is thrown when a class cannot be found and the
programmer tried to load the class *implicitly* by referring to the class
name. For example:
MyClass x = new MyClass();

Both exceptions mean the class cannot be found. I am assuming that when
Tomcat throws one of these two errors it is following the usage guidelines
laid out in the javadocs for these errors.
</side-note>