Also, while the Wrox side of the business seemed to be thriving, there were several other publishing "arms" that may not have been doing much more than soaking up profits with little return. As I said, "Wrox" was just one of many publishing names used by Peer.

John

John Turner wrote:

Well, I guess we have to be more clear. "Wrox" did not go out of business. Peer Information Services did. "Wrox" was just one of many names that Peer used to publish materials.

So, while there were lots of titles and lots of "great" Wrox books, that is separate from whether the company called Peer Information Services was managed efficiently and wisely.

I'm no MBA, but if I were to call it, I would say it was a simple matter of too big, too many, too fast. They had offices in three countries (England, India, and US), lots of people, and lots of "hurry up and wait". The overhead of managing all those titles had to be huge, and I can tell you from firsthand experience that every book probably had 30 or 40 people involved (counting the authors) in getting it to press. For example, my contract was FedEx'd back and forth to India twice. Not a lot of money, but 3-6 authors per title and several hundred titles and it starts to add up. Even something as niche-oriented as the security handbook I worked on had 18 people and 5 authors for about 225 pages.

Without going into specifics, I can also say that Peer's royalty schedule was pretty poor in comparison to other publishers, so in that light they should have had more money to work with than one of the other companies, but apparently that didn't make a difference.

John

Matt Fury wrote:

How could Wrox go out of business? That doesn't sound
right. They have 1001 titles and write great books!

Are you sure?

--- John Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The book was never published.  The original
publisher (Wrox) went out of business and liquidated assets.

The rights to the performance handbook (and many
other former Wrox titles including the security handbook) were picked
up by Apress.  The rights to the rest were picked up by Wiley.  I think
Wiley is running wrox.com right now.

From the conversations I've had with Apress, the
future of the performance book is undecided, though that could
change at any moment. I for one think there is a need for such a book, but
with Tomcat 5 coming out, it might need to be rewritten to address
the new release.

John

Flat Juas wrote:

Hi!

I'm looking for the "Apache Tomcat Performance Handbook", but in every shop I check it's out of print. There are no used copies in ebay neither.

Where

can I get a copy of this book (I don't mind if

it's a

used one) or buy a pdf version of it ? Can you
recommend me other books about tomcat performance

or

guide me to online resources about this subject ?

Thanks in advance

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site

design software

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For additional commands, e-mail: