From: "Shapira, Yoav" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:56:26 -0400
Subject: RE: Tomcat exception report I don't understand

Howdy,

>and Tomcat 4, version 1.1 (the same as what's on the server).  I took

No such version exists of tomcat.  Check the string at the beginning of
$CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out and tell us what version of tomcat
you're using ;)

>I did find one notable difference between the Tomcat directories on the
>two machines.  On my machine, I have two extra JAR files in Tomcat's
>common\lib directory:  xercesImpl.jar and xmlParserAPIs.jar

That's the cause for your error.  See the release notes section on XML
parsers.

>Here is what appears directly under "root cause" on the Exception
Report:

>javax.servlet.ServletException:
>org/apache/xerces/parsers/AbstractSAXParser
>        at

This indicates a mismatching version of the XML parser implementation
versus the SAX API version.

Are you using JDK 1.4?  Are you using the same JDK as the developer who
wrote the site?

Yoav Shapira