Howdy,
Is that a release build or some sort of test/beta?  On the JDK web site
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/) it says 1.3.1_09 is the latest stable build: have you
tried that?  Have you tried JDK 1.4.2?  If so, does it work?

I'm asking all these because this appears to be an internal JVM error, not a tomcat
one.  Tomcat can't even access the java.net private impl classes, it only accesses the
normal (Socket and ServerSocket) classes.  In turn, these use the impl classes, so
it's strange for the impl class to not contain a method expected by the declaration
class.

Do you have anything unusual in $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics