Hi, I'm trying to figure out a problem we've encountered since upgrading to Tomcat 4.1. I've seen this both on 4.1.24 and 4.1.27. I haven't yet reduced it to a specific recipe for reproduction outside the context of my application but I do see this quite frequently so I thought I'd see if anyone else has come across it...

The problem is that a call to getParameter is getting a NullPointerException in the delegation method on CoyoteRequestFacade:

Caused by:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequestFacade.
getParameter(CoyoteRequestFacade.java:178)
        at javax.servlet.ServletRequestWrapper.
getParameter(ServletRequestWrapper.java:203)

I checked the code and line 178 just a call to the wrapped CoyoteRequest object, meaning that reference is null. Now, there's only two ways it could be null: a null reference was passed into CoyoteRequestFacade's constructor, or CoyoteRequestFacade.clear() was called.

As I understand it, a CoyoteRequestFacade should be associated with a request when it starts and not released until the request has completed so I'm leaning towards looking at the first possibility. Can anyone give me an overview of the 'life cycle' of CoyoteRequestFacade? Where is it created, managed, assigned/reclaimed from a particular request, etc?

Better yet, has anyone run into this and found a solution? The nearest thing I could find was Bug# 21611 which sounds like the same problem. From the commentary, it doesn't look like there's a known cause yet; what would be the best way to track this down (as I say, I can reproduce the behaviour easily here)?

Thanks,

L.