you didn't provide your platform, but since *nix has tail, I'm assuming you
have windows.
Under windows I've never had a tomcat log file that I couldn't view, but you
may not be able to use your favorite editor. Notepad has always brought the
file up for me where other editors(including wordpad) can not while tomcat
is running.

Charlie