From: "King,Daniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 3:05 PM
Subject: RE: SOLUTION!! -- Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'

> I see this come up a lot in this user list and others about Tomcat, so I
want to share this information.  Note that the solution described below
allows you to access a global data source from all Web Applications, without
putting the <Resource> or <ResourceParams> elements in each Web Application
<Context>.

> For over a week,  I have been fighting the problem of configuring a data
source so that it can be accessed by multiple Web Applications.  I finally
got it to work with Tomcat 5.0.9, by following Paul's advise from 9/12/03.
I had no luck with Tomcat versions 4.1.24 or 4.1.27.  To make it work in
Tomcat 5.0.9, I used the Tomcat Administration tool to add the data source.
It puts the following two elements in the <GlobalNamingResources> element:

> 1. <Resource>
> 2. <ResourceParams>
>
> I am working SQLServer 2000, using Microsoft's JDBC driver (wonders never
cease):

>   <GlobalNamingResources>
>           <Resource auth="Container"
>                     name="MyDataSource"
>                     scope="Shareable"
>                     type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
>
>           <ResourceParams name="MyDataSource">
>  !-- etc. -->
>             <parameter>
>               <name>password</name>
>               <value>mypassword</value>
>             </parameter>
>             <parameter>
>               <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://111.111.111.111:1433;database=mydb</value>
>             </parameter>
>             <parameter>
>               <name>driverClassName</name>
>               <value>com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver</value>
>             </parameter>
> <!-- etc. -->
>             <parameter>
>               <name>username</name>
>               <value>myusername</value>
>             </parameter>
>           </ResourceParams>
>
>   </GlobalNamingResources>
>
> Then I added a <Context> element for my Web Application-- it is the first
child of the <Host> element:

>         <Context className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"
>                  cachingAllowed="true"

charsetMapperClass="org.apache.catalina.util.CharsetMapper"
>                  cookies="true"
>                  crossContext="false"
>                  debug="0"
>                  displayName="Welcome to Tomcat"

docBase="/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.9/webapps/myWebApp"

mapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextMapper"
>                  path="/myWebApp"
>                  privileged="false"
>                  reloadable="false"
>                  swallowOutput="false"
>                  useNaming="true"
>                  wrapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper">
>
>           <ResourceLink name="MyDataSource"
>                         global="MyDataSource"
>                         type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
>
>         </Context>
>
> Note that it was NOT necessary to add a <resource-ref> element to the
web.xml for the Web Application.

'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
> Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
> Subject: SOLUTION!! -- Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'
>

> Using Sun JDK 1.4.1_02 on Win2k SP2 and Jakarta 4.1.27.
>
> The tutorial in the tomcat docs failed for me also with the Cannot load
JDBC