Hi - Not sure about one thing - what if someone opens
up  a 100 odd connections and sends data over the pipe
slowly ? This will definitely keep that particular
server (Tomcat 4.1.24) busy for a long time and no new
user can get in. In this case, the throttling logic in
tomcat will probably do nothing. Am I mistaken ?

Also, what is disableUploadTimeout ? I didn't find any
doc. about this. If it is set to false, how can I
configure a longer timeout for reading requests ?

Thanks in advance

"Rau NF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi - Since tomcat implements a thread per connection
> model (as per the spec), would it be open to a DoS
> attack if it does not have an Apache server in front
> of it ? ie keep all threads busy servicing slow
> requests and valid users can't get in.

On my tests, Tomcat stands up pretty well to a DoS
attack.  It will become
slow if I have one machine saturate it with requests,
but they all
eventually get served.  Tomcat 5 has additional logic
to throttle
connections if the load becomes high, so I'd guess
that a DoS attack against
it (with the default settings) is almost impossible
(you would need a DDoS
attack, since one machine couldn't maintain the
concurrency necessary to
shut Tomcat down).

> Assuming there is no apache server in front of
tomcat
> and tomcat is serving everything, what's a
reasonable
> connection timeout value? I know this is application
> specific but it would be interesting to hear about
> this. The goal obviously is to serve as many users
as
> possible without having to create too many threads.

I tend to use 5sec (which is 5000 in server.xml),
since most of my apps
write back very quickly.  Some people prefer 15sec;
The current default for
Tomcat 4 is 1min.  Like anything else, it depends on
your app.  If you
typically start sending back data that includes links
to images/style-sheets
very quickly, then you want a low number.  Even if
not, I prefer to set
disableUploadTimeout="false" to use the longer time to
read the request
body.