Hi Sarika,
did you try a fresh installation of tomcat? I'm sure that would solve your problem.

Each of your apps has a web.xml file and tomcat does not generate them itself. You write them yourself, or at least copy and edit them for each app you run on tomcat. To find out more about web.xml, read the servlet 2.3 specification from java.sun.com. It's quite readable.

You also need to read up on the configuration of tomcat 'context' - the docs on the jakarta website are very comprehensive.

In a normal installation of tomcat 4.1.x you will have a webapps directory jakarta-tomcat-4.1.xx/webapps and in that directory you will have a few applications in their subdirectories, plus the admin.xml file (and also the manager.xml file).

The ROOT directory is just an application that appears on your website without any additional directory, i.e. http://localhost:8080/

Admin will be at http://localhost:8080/admin/

A directory under webapps normally be at http://localhost8080/directory/

If you do not have the admin.xml file, then you are not working with a default installation of tomcat. Since you are learning about tomcat, I would strongly recommend doing a fresh installation and seeing how the admin app works by default.

HTH,
Adam