At 04:23 PM 10/7/2003, you wrote:

Can you collect the output from sending Tomcat the -QUIT signal when this
happens?

I am not sure I understand this one.

I am kinda restricted on the deployment machine (the linux machine mentioned above) - it was developed on a Solaris 9 machine and moved over - everything works pretty normal 'cept this freezing problem. Same versions of all software on both machines tho (java,mysql,tomcat,struts).

I can ask the admin to give me the output of it the next time it freezes (we are periodically restarting it right now via cron just to make sure there is as little downtime as possible).

Basically, you've got XX number of non-daemon threads that are busy doing *something* such that the process can't shutdown. These threads might be something your application has created (easier), or something created by Tomcat (I've seen this happen on several machines running Tomcat with AJP13 Connector) which is much more difficult.

To debug it, you need a Thread dump of all threads in your app. Next time your app freezes, give it a kill -3 <pid> to get the thread dump to StdOut. From there, you should see XX threads spining wheels somewhere. If they're not spinning, it's also possible that you have deadlocked threads. This could explain why subsequent requests fail, especially if the dealock is happening on some static resource.

Hope that helps ... am curious to hear what you find out. Please keep me posted.

justin

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com