I have a problem with Tomcat not being called from Apache when Apache has a SetHandler
configured for a particular virtual host.

For standalone JSP pages Tomcat is called and the JSP runs fine, but trying to access
servlets gives me a 404 error.

For instance, I get the error_log file shows: "File does not exist:
/var/tomcat4/webapps/cm/servlet/cm/welcome"

Details:

Server OS: RH 7.3
Server Apache: 1.3.27
Tomcat Version: 4.1.24

Most of our new site is being done with Mason (PERL's version of JSP). However, my
part of the site is based on Tomcat.

All of my code worked fine on my development server, but when I migrated the code to
our testing server the Mason code handler tried to handle the requests for my servlet.
(e.g. the error_log showed: "File does not exist:
/home/httpd/redesign/cm/servlet/cm/welcome")

The programmer who was writing the handler re-wrote the handler send an
Apache::Declined for the /cm top level directory. This made Apache look for the
servlet in another place. (e.g. the error_log showed: "File does not exist:
/var/tomcat4/webapps/cm/servlet/cm/welcome")

This also made the the standalone JSP file start working.

There must be a simple configuration problem somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

The http.conf file includes the following directives for the Mason handler:

  <FilesMatch  "\.html*$|\.csv$|\.txt$|^[^.]*$">
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Mason::Site::Redesign
    PerlLogHandler Mason::Site::Redesign->loghandler
  </FilesMatch>

I added the following to the .conf file (these config lines worked on my dev server):

  Alias /cm/ "/var/tomcat4/webapps/cm/"

  <Directory "/var/tomcat4/webapps/cm">
  Options FollowSymLinks
  DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html index.htm
  </Directory>

  <Location "/cm/WEB-INF/*">
  AllowOverride None
  Deny from all