No worries. I added the following to doPost in my servlet:

        HttpSession session = request.getSession(true);
        String username = request.getParameter("username");
        if ( username == null ) username = "noParameter";
        if ( "".equals( username ) ) username = "noParameter";
        System.out.println(username);
        session.setAttribute("usr", username);

I added the following to my JSP:

  String username = ( request.getParameter("usr"));
  out.println("username >>" + username);
  String usr = (String)session.getAttribute("usr");
  out.println("usr >>" + usr);

I should added that my JSP is a frameset with 2 frames. That could be the
problem!!!

Rudi