It is my (and others) experience that mod_jk has to be loaded BEFORE
mod_rewrite for it to act responsibly. In your case the mod_rewrite is
linked statically, i.e., loaded before mod_jk. I would suggest to
make both mod_jk and mod_rewrite DSO, and load/add module mod_jk before
mod_rewrite. Remember to comment out the
  # LoadModule jk_module libexec/mod_jk.so
in mod_jk.conf

Jan

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Mel Martinez wrote:

> Filip,
>
> --- Filip Hanik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Now, if I could just get someone to tell me why
> > apache
> > > Alias and Rewrites are not working with tomcat...
> >
> > tell us what you are trying to do and send us some
> > sample config files and
> > how your environment is setup. is becomes much
> > easier than to answer the
> > question above, because alias works very well for me
> > :)
> >

> Well, actually, I've twice posted detailed
> descriptions of what I'm trying to accomplish on this
> topic and gotten zero replies, but here goes another
> attempt...
>
> I'm using Apache 1.3.14 and tomcat 3.2.1 with
> mod_jk.c.  I don't know if the latter is the 'latest'
> version of mod_jk.c - I grabbed it from the tomcat
> download site two weeks ago.  I am running this on
> WinNT using downloaded binary versions of the relevant
> software.
>
> I have setup my application ("myapp") as a directory
> inside the webapps/ directory, complete with WEB-INF
> subdirectory and such.
>
> I have apache configured to apply an alias or a
> rewrite rule to a reqest:
> #--------------
> <IfModule !mod_rewrite.c>
> LoadModule rewrite_module
> n:/opt/local/apache/modules/ApacheModuleRewrite.dll
> </IfModule>
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteLog log/apache_logs/rewrites.log
> RewriteLogLevel 9
> RewriteOptions inherit
> RewriteRule ^/myapp/(.*)/common/(.*) /myapp/common/$2
> #-------------
>

> I can tell from the rewrites.log that it is indeed
> getting applied:
>
>  (2) init rewrite engine with requested uri
> /myapp/folder1/common/mypage.jsp
>  (3) applying pattern '^/myapp/(.*)/common/(.*)' to
> uri '/myapp/folder1/common/mypage.jsp'
>  (2) rewrite /myapp/folder1/common/mypage.jsp ->
> /myapp/common/mypage.jsp
>  (2) local path result: /myapp/common/mypage.jsp
>  (1) go-ahead with /myapp/common/mypage.jsp [OK]
>
> The idea here is simple: the request
>
> /myapp/folder1/common/mypage.jsp
>
> should result in a request for
>
> /myapp/common/mypage.jsp
>
> The rewrite rule works great.  This works great for
> static stuff (i.e. html) served up by Apache.
>
> The *problem* is that Tomcat is not getting the
> translated request, it is getting the original one:
>
> /myapp/folder1/common/mypage.jsp
>
> Since no file in that path actually exists, naturally
> it returns a file not found error.  Tomcat DOES
> happily find, compile and execute requests for
> servlets and jsp pages that are in paths that do exist
> such as
>
> /myapp/folder1/myother.jsp
>
> I have apache configured to send requests to tomcat
> via ajp13 by including mod_jk.conf-auto just after the
> above rewrite rule:
>
> # include configuration for tomcat servlet engine:
> [...]

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.osc.edu/