uthay wrote:

> is there any specific advantage in using  JDBC realm.
> Why cant we load the driver (as static into the jvm) directly and operate?

You are certainly welcome to use a JDBC driver directly in your own
applications, in any manner that you wish.

The reason that JDBCRealm exists is to configure *Tomcat* (rather than your
application) on how to look up users and their associated passwords and roles,
so that you can use container-managed security for your web applications.
These concepts are defined in the Servlet Specification, version 2.2, which
you can download at:

    http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

as well as being discussed in numerous books and magazine articles.

Craig McClanahan