Howdy,
You mean like
SimpleDateFormat sdf = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-DD");
Date now = new Date();
String timestamp = sdf.format(now);
System.out.println(timestamp + ": my message");

That will do the trick.

But what are you doing writing to catalina.out? ;)  Use a proper logging system, like
log4j or the servlet context log provided by tomcat.  Both of those will
auto-timestamp for you if requested, with much lower overhead than the above.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.