session affinity==sticky sessions,

if you need session replication, try out http://cvs.apache.org/~fhanik/

Filip

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dinh Nguyen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 11:03 PM
Subject: Session affinity vs sticky session

Hi all,
I have to raise this question because it may confuse a lot of us and the
right answer can clarify something very important:
Is "session affinity" and "sticky session" the same in apache + jk2 +
tomcat load balancing enviroment?

As I know, the "sticky session" means that: if you have many instances
of tomcat (eg: tomcat1 & tomcat2) and you start session on tomcat1, the
subsequent requests will be forwarded to tomcat1 as long as tomcat1
running an up (you never reach tomcat2). It means that if tomcat1 now is
down, then your subsequent request will be forwarded to tomcat2, with a
different session (a new session created at tomcat1 for you). This is
not very good because if your application responsing on tomcat1, then
moved to tomcat2, session data will be lost, right?

Now the "session affinity", means you will have the same session (Id)
regardless of your first or subsequent requests served by tomcat1 or
tomcat2. It means that you sesison will be duplicated on both tomcat1
and tomcat2. Sometimes you served by tomcat1, sometimes you served
tomcat2, although none of them is down. Is that right?

Now my next question: what kind of session management (sticky or
affinity) supported by (apache2 + jk2 + tomcat4)?

If anything above is wrong, please correct me. I appreciate that.

Tks,
Dinh.