Its possible - but not with the existing tomcat functionality.

-Tim

Neil Zanella wrote:
Hello,

I am currently using Tomcat 4.1.27. When I want to deploy a web application I have to recompile the servlet (.java file) and
place the produced class file (bytecode) under the WEB-INF/classes
directory. Now, with JSP when you have a .jsp file the it all
happens automatically: you don't have to manually produce and
place any class files anywhere. Can I do the same with Java
servlets: just tell the server where my .java servlet is
and let the server automatically compile it? That would
be a desirable feature for Tomcat. Is it currently
possible?