No that's not true. you *don't* need 1.4. Should work with 1.3.x

Open your catalina.bat file and add a line at the end of the script:

pause

Then start your script and post the exception you are seeing here.

-- Jeanfrancois

Basavaraju P. Banakar wrote:

correct me if I'm wrong....
Tomcat 5 requires JDK 1.4.... I remember reading that java.nio packages are
used from JDK1.4

-------------
Basu..

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kwok Peng Tuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 2:20 PM Subject: Re: need help

Hello Gokul,
      It's helpful if we can see the exception, so you might want to
run the script file catalina.bat located in
 the bin directory.

Run it with:    catalina run
This makes tomcat run in the current window and you will be able to see
the exceptions. I'm not really sure if jdk1.3 works
with Tomcat 5 (some one correct me quick) , so keep that in mind as
well. Cut the exceptions and send it back to the list
to have a look.

S.Gokul wrote:

Hi,

I do have jdk1.3 installed and I have made the changes in the startup.bat
file in the tomcat bin folder. But still I am not able to run it.

It starts up and then after a few seconds it closes the tomcat window. I
think its throwing some java exception. Can u help me out.

Regards,

S.Gokul