Your xml is not valid with respect to the dtd. IE can say a document is well-formed but can't say a document is valid.

All <servlet> elements must appear before any <servlet-mapping>

See http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd

-Tim

Antony Paul wrote:

I could open the file in IE .

I am including my web.xml(a shorter form)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>
<web-app>
 <display-name>My context</display-name>
 <description>Application desc</description>
 <listener>
  <listener-class>util.ContextListener</listener-class>
 </listener>

 <servlet>
  <servlet-name>LoginServlet</servlet-name>
  <servlet-class>LoginServlet</servlet-class>
 </servlet>
 <servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>LoginServlet</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/LoginServlet</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

 <servlet>
  <servlet-name>sa/OperationPasswordServlet</servlet-name>
  <servlet-class>sa.OperationPasswordServlet</servlet-class>
 </servlet>
 <servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>sa/OperationPasswordServlet</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/sa/OperationPasswordServlet</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

 <resource-ref>
      <description>DB Connection Pool</description>
      <res-ref-name>jdbc/Database</res-ref-name>
      <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
 </resource-ref>
</web-app>

Antony Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Funk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 7:52 PM Subject: Re: web.xml parser error

(probably) http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#baddtd

-Tim

Antony Paul wrote:

It is printed on stderr.log. Every context is working. I found the xml

file

by editing each xml file and looking for change of line number in error
message. Servlet mapping is causing problem. But one interesting thing

is

that every time it is pointing to last line of the file. What does this

mean

?

Antony Paul