I have a link on a page in my JSP application that is supposed to open an
Excel file. The link is <a href="taxCalc.xls" target="_blank">Tax
Calculator</a>.

If the application runs on Tomcat 4.1.24, it works fine. A new browser
window opens, the excel file gets downloaded and opens up in the browser.
But, if I run the application on another instance of Tomcat which is 4.0.3,
the excel file does not open, instead it shows a lot of junk characters in
the browser.

What could be the reason for this?

Thanks,
Gautam