From: "Christopher Schultz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: Is this a bug???

Gabriel,

Hi...

I've read all the stuff about repoting bugs, but I still don't want
to report this, cause I don't know if this is a bug or not...It is
too hard to know... isn't it?

Here is the deal... I have clean installation. Every first time,
after startup, I try to get to the "tomcat administration", I get
this error... Then I just reload the page and everithing works
great.... I've tried to stop the "tomcat administration" application
and then re-start it... and I still get the error on the first
attempt to surf to the application..

what's this???

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.

>  at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:2
54)

It looks like you have a JSP that you've run through native2ascii (or
used your own escape codes), and one of them is bogus. Look in your JSPs
for the string "\u" and see if any of those references are broken.

-chris

---