Howdy,
If a thread is dead it will have been GCed.  Use a thread dump (kill -s
QUIT <processId>) to get the current list of threads and what they're
doing on stdout.  There are also programmatic ways to go about this:
I've posted at least three times in the past the complete code for a
thread-crawler type of class that will display all the threads in the
JVM, what they're doing, their state, etc: you can search the list
archives for it.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.