Antony,
    I have seen DBCP not closing a connection if the request is forwarded to
same page in the try block before the request is forwarded. With
sendRedirect no problem.

If you execute a "forward", then it acts just like a method call -- your connection will still be absent from the pool. When you forward, you exit your try/catch block before the browser makes the next request.

You have to do your code like this:

try
{
        conn = ...;
}
catch (...)
{
}
finally
{
        conn.close();
}

requestDispatcher.forward(...);

Otherwise you might deadlock your application.

I work with one connection to test for connection leak and any bottlenecks
in code.

This is a very good idea.

> It works fine if I put the forward() after the end of finally
block. I want to know whether it is bug or config error or Tomcat behaves
so.

This is a logic error - not a Tomcat bug or config error. You just have to write more careful code.

-chris