Howdy,

>>  - try combining multiple jars into a single jar: make a temporary
>>    directory, unpack each jar into it, then jar up the temporary
>>    directory.  Again, you'd need to do this on a per-classloader
>>    basis
>>
>> If doing this, be careful of signed jars.  You'll need to unsign them
>> by removing any META-INF/*.SF, META-INF/*.RSA, and
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
>> files.
>
>I was playing around with this and achieved a decent amount of success.
>Can the same be done with the tomcat supplied jar's (say /server/lib/*)
>without negative effect?

Yes, you can do the same with tomcat jars, they're not signed.

>>  - try increasing the number of file descriptors at the os level.
>>    With a solaris machine, that's rlim_fd_cur and rlim_fd_max in
>>    /etc/system.  I'm not sure about linux (/proc/sys/fs/file-max?)
>
>This is the last thing I'm looking into. I'd much rather get the
>application to behave than to tune a kernel for a poorly performing
app,
>but if nothing else works I'll finish with that.

It's not a kernel tune, on Solaris at least, it's just the ulimit
command.  Not only is this a safe and easy thing to do, it's a standard
practice in large application deployment environments.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.