From: Tim Funk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 7:26 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Extending JNDIRealm

Odd, based on what I see so far, I would expect it to crash with a StackOverFlow exception.

-Tim

Hart, Justin wrote:

Whoops, the code is actually as follows...

No sure what's going on with this code... I'm attempting to extend JNDIRealm so I can add a few features I need for my site, I have an interesting issue, however.

If, I try this :

   public Principal authenticate(DirContext context, String username, String
credentials) throws NamingException {
        Principal authPrincipal = null;
                System.out.println(username);
                authPrincipal = super.authenticate(username, credentials);
                return authPrincipal;
        }

username gets printed, and the system works properly

However, if I try something akin to this

   public Principal authenticate(DirContext context, String username, String
credentials) throws NamingException {
        Principal authPrincipal = null;
                System.out.println(username.length());
                authPrincipal = super.authenticate(username, credentials);
                return authPrincipal;
        }

It crashes with a null pointer exception.