Ok, here's what I've tried.

1)  Implement SessionListener, put in web.xml file in listener tags.
        This never seems to run.
2)  Implement HttpSessionListener, put in web.xml file in listener tags.
        This runs, but doesn't seem to have access to the Session (I need the username
and pass off the Session to authenticate to a database).
3)  Implement a Valve to do the same.
        I saw that SingleSignOn uses a valve implementation, and is a SessionListener.
 I see that it sets itself up to listen to its sessions, but now how this code is ever
called!

So, my question is:
        1)  Can I use SessionListener in any meaningful way?  Is there a way to add
this to my xml files that I am unaware of?
        2)  Can I get to the Session (or at least the data I need) from
HttpSessionListener?
        3)  Why isn't my valve running?  It's just <valve className="theClass"> in my
server.xml, right?

Justin