From: Atreya Basu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 4:07 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: SessionListener

Sorry,

I should have added to this earlier, but I thought that SessionListener
should go in the web.xml document under the Listener element.  Or am I
thinking about HttpSessionListener which is different....

Anyways if it is HttpSessionListener that you are talking about I can
provide some examples.

Cheers,

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Howdy,
>

>>Ok, still, I haven't found any documentation on how to add a
>>SessionListener in the server.xml file, and adding one using the
>>

>listener
>

>>tags defined for web.xml files doesn't seem to work.
>>

>The XML is the similar but not quite the same to the portable one:
><listener className="mypackage.myclass" ... />  There is a generic
>example in the Engine configuration reference, and another more specific
>example in the Host configuration reference.  Neither, however, is a
>SessionListener example.
>
>There IS one specific, full-features SessionListener example: the
>SingleSignOn valve.  It's present (but commented out) in server.xml by
>default, and you can take a look at the source code.  It's a more
>complicated and confusing example because it's also a Valve ;(  But then
>again, I wouldn't even bother with this whole approach when you have the
>HttpSessionListener as part of the servlet specification.
>
>where ... are attributes specific to your listener.  (The astute reader
>would recognize the above as a commons Digester bean-based
>initialization pattern).
>

>>I also haven't seen how to get a user's credentials from a HttpSession,
>>

>or
>

>>how to get a Session from an HttpSessionListener.  Could you throw me a
>>bone?
>>

>If the user is authenticated by the server, typically the information is
>not in the session, it's in the request:
>HttpServletRequest#getUserPrincipal.  A common use-case is to stuff this
>in the session via a filter.
>
>If you had an attribute called username that something was stuffing into
>the session, i.e. something like a filter calling
>session.setAttribute("username", "something"), then an
>HttpSessionAttributeListener's attributeAdded would be called with the
>attribute name and latest value.
>
>Yoav

>may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This
>e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be
>saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an)
>intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system
>and notify the sender.  Thank you.

Developer
Greenfield Research Inc.
atreya(AT)greenfieldresearch(DOT)ca