Neil,

This is strange.  When I created a heap dump from my server
just now, it does not have any instances of TagHandlerPool
in the heap dump.  That is what I expected before, but I still
had them in my last dump.

That is weird. However, you still have a bunch of tag handler instances, I see...

Doing a quick grep on my summary results from the new heap dump,
I get this result:
    60256,1076,com/slsideas/pagegen/tags/SetPropertyTag
    31296,652,com/slsideas/pagegen/tags/ValueTag
The first column is the total bytes held by the instance inself (not
including references), the second column is the number of instances that
> were present in the heap dump, and the last column is the type of
> the object.

So you have 60k in SetPropertyTag objects? If you use them a lot (without pooling), then you'll get a lot of them on the heap at any given time. Can you observe that the number keeps going up, and never goes down?

I find it very hard to believe that we have over 2500 active instances
of our tags.  This seems to imply they are not being garbage collected.

Not necessarily. It might just be that they are taking a while to get GC'd. Again, what do you observe over time?

I don't belive the StringBuffer is the cause of my problems.

Okay, that's good.

-chris