That's great!  Thank you very much for you help.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 10:04 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Session not freed in tomcat4.0.6

Howdy,
This is not a stupid question.  The servlet specification mandates that
sessions be persisted across server restarts.  This is done so that if a
user is doing something and the server crashes, the server can come back up
with the user's session data intact.

When the JVM is gone, all its objects ARE gone -- from memory.  Session data
by default is more like preferences that are persisted.

This is of course tunable: you control the session timeout (in web.xml), as
well as tomcat-specific session persistence settings.  Read the Manager
(component, not webapp) configuration reference for details.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics