Bill,

> > As an aside,should'nt this behaviour be corrected in tomcat to clear the
> > ThreadLocal variables once a request is done(because as i see
> it,a thread
> is
> > very much local to the request it is processing)?
> >

> Actually, with the Ajp13Connector, the thread is there to handle many
> request from many users.  With the CoyoteConnector2 (in 3.3.2,
> but pluggable
> into 3.3.1), the same user gets multiple requests on the same thread.  I
> don't really see that it is Tomcat's job to clear application
> variables that
> it knows nothing about.

 In some ways,you are right.But,looking at it this way.

When it's said that each request is processed in a *new* thread,it is
reasonable to expect that thread-specific language constructs will be
handled.In this case,a new thread would mean new copies of ThreadLocal and
InheritableThreadLocal variables.
 If this new thread is created in a customized manner(in this case,alloted
from a ThreadPool),I would say that the behaviour of the new Thread should
be modelled on the language defined lines.
 It would be good if this is atleast documented somewhere. :)