When you get "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread" it means you are running into an operating system limit. You can give the JVM 1 Exabyte of memory and you'll still get this error.

Look at the kernel parameters for your machine and the following limits:
1) Threads allowable on the system
2) Threads run by a user
3) Threads run by a process
4) File handles per process
5) File handles per user

Use your OS manual or Google to tweak these parameters.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/memory.html#why

-Tim

qi zhang wrote:
Hi,

I have stunk on this problem for almost 2 weeks. :-( In these two weeks, I have tried many methods, but it still doesn't work.

I built a system to run TPCW benchmark. One web and application server, with tomcat4.0 running, one database with mysql4.0 running on it and several client machines. The Jave version is j2sdk1.4.0_03. The system worked perfect under light load. But when the number of clients exceeded some number (like 600), the tomcat4 didn't work anymore.
I checked catalina.out. Sometimes no error message appear, while in some time it appeared the error:

SEVERE: Caught exception executing [EMAIL PROTECTED], terminating thread
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
at java.lang.Thread.start(Native Method)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.<init>(ThreadPool.java:497)
at