You will be compressing images?! :(

Remember that most image formats - gif, jpeg, png, etc, are already compressed. In most cases compressing them again will only gain you 2-3% improvement if anything at all. So you will be spending time compressing for nothing.

Notice that the "compressableMimeType" attribute that you copied below does not include "image/jpeg". That is because whoever configured this example file rightly excluded compression of objects that would not benefit at all.

If you are expecting compression to make up for a web site that is graphic heavy, you will be sorely disappointed. If, however, you have a website with significant amounts of text (i.e., large database result sets) then you will probably benefit.

-Erik

Ron Andersen wrote:

I am only using one platform and I need the best performance, since I will be compressing images. Therefore, if I use the connector compression, shall I turn the filter compression off(in web.xml). Also, does the connector(in server.xml) support the following attributes??

compression="on" compressionMinSize="2048" noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla, traviata" compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml"

Remy Maucherat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Howdy,
Yup, it would be attempted twice (if the request matches both the filter
and the connector, which is the default setup). Personally I prefer the
filter, as it's more portable and not tomcat-specific.

I prefer the connector, since it's faster and more powerful (you get the regexp based exception list Henri added, etc) :)
If we (ever) get a gz impl that isn't an output stream and could work on "straight" byte arrays, we'd also be able to do the compression without facade objects at all, which would have the best performance.

--
http://www.spectacle.ca/
The Online Source for Live Music in Montreal