Hi!

In tomcat 4 you have to either restart tomcat after you drop the war in it's webapps directory or manually install the webapp using the tomcat manager (the path to war file should be relative to the webapps dir, so if you drop the war there, you can just enter it's name and press install button).

Phil

Joe Francis wrote:
Possible newbie question, but I have not found any faqs addressing this:

I just did a vanilla install of 4.1.29 on a linux box. Connecting to localhost:8080 seems to work fine and I can run the example servlets, etc. In netbeans I made a trivial servlet that just spits back some helloworld html. It works within netbeans' built-in tomcat. I export this as a .war file, and copy it into tomcat's webapps folder (the real tomcat, not the netbeans one). Nothing happens, ie., I cannot access that servlet via tomcat, and examining the webapps/ directory reveals that the war file was not unpacked. I stopped and restarted tomcat - still no love.

If I manually inflate the war file inside of webapps/ROOT, then I have a working servlet.
I've looked at conf/server.xml and verified that the unpackWARS and autodeploy settings are both lit.
Not sure what the next step is, so I thought I'd ask here. The goal is to be able to simply copy a .war into the right place and have a running tomcat deploy the servlet corerctly.

cheers,
-joe