Hi, Alan,

The folks in the know suggested this as the appropriate list. I am not trying to obtain an ip address in order to access locally Tomcat, but to access Tomcat globally. Therefore, the local subnet address will not help. By a request object, I mean an http request object that I send to an outside computer and which, then, holds under request.getRemoteAddr()the ip address. However, this appears to be an alias ip address which resolves to a remote host that is the isp address preceeded by a series of hexadecimal numbers. Does that help?

Michael McGrady