I'm trying to get a install of tomcat with apache/jk2 running with the manager
webapp.

In fact, the install has been running smoothly for some time, except the
manager application was never put into place as it was superfluous to our
deployment requirements.

Now the deployment schedule has stepped up a bit we'd like to use the manager
app on a regular basis.

OK, so I can get it working without issue (I've had it running in my dev
environment for some time) but......

When I deploy a new war file using on the production setup, the manager webapp
will (i'm sure some of you can correct the real ins & outs, but for
simplicity..):-
1. Delete /home/tomcat/intranet.war
2. Delete /home/tomcat/intranet
3. Upload the war file to /home/tomcat/intranet.war.

This, in turn will then be:-
1. Unpacked at /home/tomcat/intranet by the 'intranet.eu.xxx.com' host &
deployed (unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">)....
2. Deployed at tomcat.eu.xxx.com/babcockbrown....
(Making two instances of the same webapp available from different access points.)

My question is:
How can I setup the manager to deploy the intranet.war file on
intranet.eu./xxx.com without making it available on the other virtual host?

My current reasoning says it would make sense to create the manager context
inside the intranet.eu.xx.com host, but that doesn't seem possible, given that
 Apache's document root needs to point to /home/tomcat/intranet for this host
(ie making /home/tomcat/manager inaccessible).

As a real nasty option, i'd thought about merging the manager & intranet
web.xml files, and making the intranet webapp privileged, but i'm loathe to do
this from a security standpoint.

How does everyone else get round this problem? It shouldn't be uncommon, no?
Config snippets follow.....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

James.

----------- directory structures ---------
Tomcat Directory: /apps/pkg/tomcat
note: /apps/pkg/tomcat/webapps contains no webapps.

Webapps Directory: /home/tomcat

----------- /apps/pkg/tomcat/conf/server.xml -------------------
<!-- note: edited for brevity -->
<Service name="Tomcat-Apache JK2">