Howdy,
Not a big fan of short sentence, huh? ;)

>Is this a tomcat issue or is this a jdk 1.4 issue where the jsp:include
>calls in my jsp pages that include files from other directories do not
work

It's probably neither a tomcat issue nor a JDK 1.4 issue.  By other
directories, do you mean outside the webapp?

>when the webapp I'm deploying is in WAR format?  I have a context setup
for

Packed or unpacked WAR?  Either way, your webapp should not use
getRealPath calls: replace them with ServletContext#getResource or
getResourceAsStream.

>getRealPath() calls break as well...is there any way to force Tomcat to
>autoexpand my WAR file even though I'm setting it up with a context and

Yes, set the unpackWARs attribute to true for the Host element where
your Context is.  You can verify that your WAR is unpacked by looking at
the filesystem.  Remember, if you're using tomcat 5 it's under a
different directory from tomcat 4.

>realm in server.xml?  Or am I stuck going through my entire application
and
>giving absolute paths to all my jsp:include files and writing something
>create temporary directories to replace my getRealPath() situations?

You should replace your getRealPath calls anyways.  You should have
relative paths for your inclusions anyways.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.