Howdy,

>I currently have a 6 processor Solaris box that we wish to turn into a
>tomcat application server for 250-500 users.
>My current plan would be to run two instances of tomcat 5 in a cluster
with >the session replication enabled and load balance between these two
using >the JK2 connector from apache 2.

It's good to have a goal and plan in mind.  Make sure to establish the
acceptable response time for a page in your application when handling
the maximum expected load.  This is what you will test for.

That said, why not start simple?  Configure just one standalone tomcat,
deploy to it, stress-test and tune it.  Then worry about clustering and
failover.

>Would I be better having 1 tomcat instance and allowing it to take more
>memory? (I decided against this as surely each instance can only
utilise a >single processor)

That's not true: the JVM can effectively utilize multiple processors
concurrently.  We have several 12- and 18-processor Solaris boxes and
Sun JDK 1.4.2 parallelizes beautifully on them.  Be careful jumping into
conclusions like the above without researching/testing.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.