Thats correct.
But it was more of a design issue than anything else.
For me using session bean helps me to have accessor modifier style controle
over my session vars.
Extend it little bit further and you get full session control over your
application.

following code will allow me to control the access to the pages at user or
admin level

boolean admin=false;
if(sessInfo.getUName()==null || sessInfo.getUName()== ""){
%>
<jsp:forward  page="loginValidate.jsp" />
<%
}else{
    if(sessInfo.getAuthority().equals("admin")){
        admin=true;
    }
}

sessInfo.setUName("") will invalidate the user

Comments are welcome
Note:sessInfo-session bean