Fernando Padilla wrote:

> I am unknowledgable to the Servlet 2.3 specification, so I would like
> pointers to using Tomcat with "Filter"s.  If it is as simple as go read
> the spec, then just ignore this.

Reading the spec (and the associated API docs) is a good starting point.
You can get it at:

    http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

> Currently, my Web Application Architecture has JSP pages which the first
> thing they do is call a helper class to pre-handle the request and setup
> request attributes for it to use.  I am guessing this would be a perfect
> use for a "Filter".  So I was wondering how to get a Filter working with
> Tomcat.

You need want to download Tomcat 4.0, which supports the new spec.  There
are also a couple of simple example filters in the "examples" web
application -- check under directory "webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes".

Getting the filter to run is pretty simple:
* Put your filter in WEB-INF/classes (or in a JAR file in WEB-INF/lib)
* Register it in the WEB-INF/web.xml file, again using the "examples"
  web app as a guide.  You will need a <filter> element for each filter,
  plus at least one <filter-mapping> element to define what requests
  within your web app should be seen by this filter.
* Restart Tomcat.

> thank you
>
> fernando

Craig McClanahan