OK, I've read over ldapAuthCheck.java (by Mark Wilcox, apparently.)   I
pretty well understand everything there, except I have a blank spot in
knowledge of the Tomcat architecture.  Which means I don't understand
why you had to extend simpleRealm instead of securityCheck.

Obviously, neither this class nor Tomcat implements JAAS.  I'm assuming
that's because they were built before JAAS was defined.  They're also
much simpler than the total pluggable-authentication-module framework
implemented by JAAS.  That's cool, since I don't need all that stuff
anyhow.  It's nice that the user name and password are just passed as
strings in the call to checkPassword(), for example.

So--What needs doing? I've never worked on a project so I don't know the
rules.

(The only thing I know I'd like to change is to add flexibility to use
the "mail" attribute as the userID instead of the "UID" attribute.)

Martin