Howdy,
I see three options that fall within the realm of not a huge amount of
work:

- Dig into tomcat source code, extend Coyote in some custom way to
recognize your headers, recognize what you call "load" (which is much
harder to do than recognizing headers), and filter requests
appropriately.

- Create a simple Filter (ServletFilter) that looks for your request
headers, again recognizes "load", and filters requests appropriately
(this filter would be mapped to url-pattern /*).  This is far less
efficient than the Coyote solution, because you will reject requests
further along the processing pipeline that you need to, but this
approach is portable.

- Attack the problem with clustering: install more tomcat instances and
a load balancer, ideally one that can assign weights to your workers and
direct requests to workers according to headers.  (The balancer webapp
that ships with tomcat 5 has a request header rule that will let you
redirect requests based upon header values -- you'd have to add the
"load" recognition capability).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics