Problem:

- Making any https call fails with the message "Forbidden.  You were denied access
because: Access denied by access control list.".
- The failure happens even accessing https://<host>:8443/tomcat-docs, while a regular
http call succeeds.
- The failure happens with some browsers (i.e.: Mozilla) but now with others (i.e.:
Internet Explorer, and most versions of Netscape).
- The failure appears to only happen when accessing a server on a different box than
the one where the browser is running.  It has not happened (so far) on the same box as
the client.
- The failure appears to happen with the Tomcat running on either Windows or Solaris.
- The failure is not related to the JDK's Verisign Certificate issue (expired Jan 7).
It was happening in December, and it was not corrected by JDK 1.4.2_03.  Also, the
certificates being used are self-signed according to the Tomcat's default instructions.

Questions:

- Is this a configuration issue?  Or is it a deeper problem with either Tomcat or the
browsers?  I have not seen many postings out there on this topic, so I assume (and
hope) the problem is a dumb configuration snafu.

- Is there a know solution?  I have not found any on the Tomcat archives, on the
Mozilla archives, or even after several exchanges with the Mozilla support people.

- Is there any additional information I can provide that might shed some light as to
why this is happening?

Environment details:
- Tomcat version: 5.
- JDK version 1.4.2 (both _02 and _03).
- Mozilla versions failing (at least 1.4 and 1.5).
- IE version succeeding (at least 6.0)
- Netscape version succeeding (at least 4.5, 4.7, and I believe one of the 7.x
versions).

server.xml:
(feel free to comment if you see something wrong even if unrelated)

  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"
            debug="0"/>
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
            debug="0"/>
  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <Environment name="simpleValue" type="java.lang.Integer" value="30"/>
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
       description="User database that can be updated and saved">
    </Resource>
    <ResourceParams name="UserDatabase">
      <parameter>
        <name>factory</name>
        <value>org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory</value>
      </parameter>
      <parameter>
        <name>pathname</name>
        <value>conf/tomcat-users.xml</value>
      </parameter>
    </ResourceParams>
  </GlobalNamingResources>
  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="8089"
               debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
               disableUploadTimeout="true" />
    <Connector port="8443"
               acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
    <Connector port="8109"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" debug="0"
               protocol="AJP/1.3" />
    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
              prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>
                 debug="0" resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
            timestamp="true"/>
      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>