Remy Maucherat wrote:

Daniel Gibby wrote:

Does anyone have a synopsis of reasons to move to or not to move to Tomcat 5 from tomcat 4?

I've seen various reasons that moving will be beneficial, including better session-replication support, and manager application improvements, but how does 5.0 stand up as far as reliability is concerned? I'm usually a little gun-shy at upgrading to anything until most of the bugs are worked out. It could cost me thousands of dollars a day to have my web apps be down.

First, you have to make sure your webapps run. You never know.

Then, TC 5 vs 4.1.29:
- is faster and generally more optimized
- has nice server monitoring
- has plenty of cleanups and small refactorings, to fix some of the more complex 4.1.x bugs
- has JSP 2.0 (you may not care, but JSPs are actually nice now)

Note: 4.1.29 and 5.0.16 use the same connectors, so reliability of the HTTP (or AJP) handling will be identical.