But he said the same app was much faster on another (slower) machine.
Donie

-----Original Message-----
From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 13 January 2004 13:47
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: dramatic performance differences on development machines

Johan Coens wrote:
> Here the specs are:
>
> It's a windows XP development Client
> Pentium 4, 2GHz, 512Mb memory
> jdk 1.3.1_06
> tomcat 4.0.6
>
> Tomcat is consuming 50-90% of processing time when serving the request.
> Notice, i tetsted the app on websphere too, it is serving quite fast,
400ms.
> instead of 20000ms.
>
> If anybody can point me where too look at I would be very happy.

If it's a JSP with lots of tags, then Jasper 1 generated code which
triggered a performance bug in the virtual machine (dealing with
try/catch nesting). You can notice the issue by taking Jasper 1 JARs,
putting them in TC 4.1, and notice (on Sun VMs, I don't know about
others) pages taking 10x or more the usual time to render.

Upgrade to 4.1 or 5.0 if this is the problem.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat