Howdy,

>jaas.jar is no longer present in server/lib/ as it was in Tomcat 4.x.

Small correction there: it was in server/lib for tomcat 4.1.x, not
4.0.x.

>this causes ClassNotFoundExceptions when running under JDK 1.3. was
this
>an oversight or was it intentional. if it was intentional, it should be
>documented in RUNNING.txt.

I doubt it was an oversight, as it takes some effort to drop a jar from
our distribution.  But I don't see much documentation for it.  And I
know the JAAS Realm and associated JAASMemoryLoginModule are still
present in the distribution.  I also know tomcat has been built on JDK
1.4 for a while now, so the absence of the jaas.jar would necessarily by
detected.  I'll investigate a bit more.  Thanks for bringing this up.
All you had to do is place jaas.jar in server/lib (or the jre/ext
directory I assume) ?

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.