> From: Allan Bruce [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I have added my servlet file (WinGalagaHST) to the
> examples/WEB-INF/classes
> folder and added the following to the web.xml file
> I get the following error:
> Cannot allocate servlet instance for path...
> I am trying to access the servlet by:
> http://allanmb.redirectme.net:8080/examples/servlet/WinGalagaH
> ST?Op=GetScore
> What am I missing?

If you put your class directly in WEB-INF/classes, that indicates to me
that it is not in a named package.  If it is in a package, put it in the
correct directory structure under 'classes'.  If it's NOT in a package,
I suggest you start using named packages soon-- the default package will
cause problems, .

It should work without the 'servlet' out of the URL.  That maps to the
Invoker Servlet (look in web.xml for it) which is only enabled in the
example webapp.  (And disabled by default elsewhere for good reason.)
You're doing it right, map your Servlets in web.xml and ignore the
Invoker Servlet (or disable it).

Also make sure that all the <servlet> tags are together and come before
all the <servlet-mapping> tags.  Check the DTD for the other rules on
what goes where.  Everything has to be in order.

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.