I am using 1.4.2_03 without any problems and have successfully imported various
certs (versign, self-signed and Windows cert server signed).

I have never tried to import a CA signed cert on top of a self signed cert. To
be honest, I would expect it to fail. This may be the cause of your problem. Can
you try generating a key, not signing it yourself and sending that to be signed
by the CA? Also, can you confirm that you did the format conversion as described
below.

Mark